Monday, February 28, 2011

Like a Child

Do you ever have that feeling that God's trying to tell you something - get your attention? Twice today (in my morning devotional and in my Bible study homework), I've encountered this verse from Psalm 139:  "Search me, O God, and know my heart!  Try me and know my thoughts!  And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!"  The first version of this verse translated thoughts as anxieties.  That's what caught my attention.  How am I doing these days with "casting my cares on the Lord"?  Not so sure I'm doing a very good job of that lately.  Why is it, when we have a loving Father who wants to BE a father to us, that we struggle along trying to work things out all by ourselves - no help needed, thank you very much!  


I had tears in my eyes during our sermon yesterday when our pastor reminded us of our dependence on God, comparing it to infants and their parents.  That complete trust that a baby has; and the baby doesn't even know what trust is - other than that continual state of being a baby whose needs are getting met.  How wonderful to think about resting in God's care so utterly and completely.  "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you." (1 Peter 5:6)  What's more humble than a baby?  No pride getting in the way - the kind of pride that says, "I can handle this better!" It occurs to me that another word that deserves a second look is that little word, care.  My heavenly Father doesn't just care about me (as in showing concern) but cares FOR me (as in tends to me - like the baby is cared for by his parents).  Is it any wonder we're to have the faith of a little child?



Matthew 11:25, 29:  At that time Jesus declared, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children . . . . Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment