Saturday, February 25, 2012

Tossing and Turning

What keeps you awake at night?  Tossing and turning, restless, maybe shedding a few tears?  The nighttime seems to be the worst for bringing up all the stresses and worries; our minds become full of anxious thoughts, what-if's.  Our imaginations, seemingly on over-drive, can come up with the worst possible scenarios.  Those hours of sleeplessness, worry and anxiety are so lonely; everyone else is sleeping peacefully; there's no one to talk to, to bring reason to those "midnight crazies".  


But there is One who sees our tossing and turning.  Consider these words from Psalm 56:8:  You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in your bottle.  Are they not in your book?  When David wrote these words he was in fear for his life, under siege.  He was apparently afraid to the point of sleeplessness and tears.  This mighty warrior was hanging on to his faith in God to keep from going under - from giving in completely to his great fear in this awful predicament.  David reminds himself again and again that he can and will trust God.  This I know, that God is for me. (verse 9)  

Not only is God on our side but he is close enough to see - and count - our tossings and turnings in the middle of the night, to see our tears, to put them in his bottle.  Our tears are so precious to God, they're not wasted.  He doesn't look at our tears as foolishness or weakness; he sees and knows the depth of our pain or fear and tenderly responds to our crying.

The next time you're struggling through a long, lonely, fearful night turn to Psalm 56.  Remind yourself, as David did, that God is with you and you can trust him with those things that are keeping you from sleep - stealing your peace.  Read the words over and over until they become your prayer.

Be gracious to me, O God, for man tramples on me;
all day long an attacker oppresses me;
my enemies trample on me all day long,
for many attack me proudly.
When I am afraid,
I put my trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.
What can flesh do to me?
All day long they injure my cause;
all their thoughts are against me for evil.
They stir up strife, they lurk;
they watch my steps,
as they have waited for my life.
For their crime will they escape?
In wrath cast down the peoples, O God!
You have kept count of my tossings;
put my tears in your bottle.
Are they not in your book?
Then my enemies will turn back
in the day when I call.
This I know, that God is for me.
In God, whose word I praise,
in the LORD, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.
What can man do to me?
I must perform my vows to you, O God;
I will render thank offerings to you.
For you have delivered my soul from death,
yes, my feet from falling,
that I may walk before God
in the light of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment