Sunday, February 5, 2012

An Invitation

And he [Jesus] said to them, "Come away by yourselves to a desolate place and rest a while."  Mark 6:31


Recently, I've had two wonderful opportunities to get away with Jesus for some rest, reflection and retreat.  The first was alone and the second was with the women of my church.  The first was more of a spur of the minute, gotta-get-away time and the second was a planned and organized retreat.  But the most important part of both was the chance to listen, pray and gain some perspective.  I was in dire need of some time to rest, to be still and know that He is God, to hear a word, a direction - to pray expectantly, waiting for answers - and I needed healing for my weary soul.  


Jesus invites us to be with him, to sit with him a while -- he has so much to share with us.  Sometimes, he speaks through silence. Maybe his voice is speaking to a place so deep in our spirit that we're not even aware and we just think it's silence.  But silence in God's presence is a powerful silence, a healing silence, a restoring silence and not to be feared or turned away from.  Perhaps silence prepares us for the word God has for us to hear or read - maybe silence is laying the foundation, preparing the "soil" for the holy "seeds" to be sown.  As the psalmist writes, I sought the Lord and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears (Ps. 34:4). Whether we hear through God's Word, rest in the silence, or hear that still, small voice speak to our hearts, God is faithful.  He will answer.   


  • I bless the LORD who gives me counsel; i
    n the night also my heart instructs me.  
    I have set the LORD always before me; because 
    he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.  You 
    make known to me the path of life; 
    in your presence there is fullness of joy; 
    at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.  
    (Psalm 16:7-8, 11)
  • You have said, "Seek my face."  My heart says to you "Your face, Lord, do I seek."  Psalm 27:8
  • For you are my rock and my fortress; and for your name's sake you lead me and guide me.   Psalm 31:3
  • Oh taste and see that the Lord is good!  Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!   Psalm 34:8
  • The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous and his ears toward their cry.  When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles.   Psalm 34:15, 17



1 comment:

  1. Very Nice !!
    Every one of us appreciate together with your post.Keep Submitting...
    Thank you discussing., practical data.

    BioSpec 985370-04 Tissue-Tearor Homogenizer For 0.5-5.0mL Samples, 5000 - 35000 rpm, 120 VAC, 4.8cm Probe Length

    ReplyDelete