Monday, September 19, 2011

Still Listening

I've been at the lake for several days writing (and working toward finishing) my Ephesians study.  I love the peace and quiet on the lake - especially this time of year.  But mostly, I love the routine I fall into when I have the whole day ahead of me with no errands, appointments, etc., just time to write.  (Who knew this was inside me??!)  This morning, I spent quite a while on the porch overlooking the water and just listened - with my eyes closed.  I began to focus in on the sounds individually, instead of just listening to everything at once.  It was an amazing experience!  Listening to the birds one by one -- so many different songs; listening to the wind rustling the leaves and blowing things out of the trees; listening for the water - it was very quiet this morning, very calm.  I had to really concentrate to hear the water.  


I don't know how long I was listening like that - I lost track of time.  But what occurs to me is that God's voice is a lot like that.  It's always there under all the layers of sound, you just have to listen for it.  Remember the story of Elijah?  After the prophets of Baal were defeated so spectacularly, he has to run for his life from Jezebel and is hiding out in a cave.  (There's a lot more to the story....I'm cutting to the chase, here.)  The Lord is going to reveal himself to Elijah but it wasn't in the great, strong wind that "tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks", or in the earthquake, or in the fire that followed.  It was the "sound of a low whisper" that brought Elijah out of the cave to be with his God and hear from him.  


Maybe we expect God to speak like a voice of thunder from the heavens - something really spectacular and powerful!  But the psalmist says, "be still and know that I am God".  We have to get quiet and still, quiet all the noise in our heads, and listen.  I was surprised by all that I heard this morning on my porch.  I think when I'm quiet enough to hear from the Lord, I'm usually surprised by what I hear in that still, small voice.  The temptation is to stay here in the quiet and not go back to the normal routine and busy-ness.  I can really relate to Peter, James and John on the mountain when Jesus was transfigured.  Peter wanted to build booths and stay a while.  But they had to go back down that mountain and get on with the Father's business.  And so do I.



No comments:

Post a Comment