Friday, March 18, 2011

Get out of the Boat!

I've been thinking lately about the story of Jesus walking on the water and, in particular, Peter's venture out of the boat.  In reading the account in Matthew, my Bible notes pointed out that since Jesus walked towards them during the third watch of the night, the disciples had been battling the storm and waves for 9 hours!  In Mark's Gospel, it says "they were making headway painfully".  That speaks to me!  How many times do I struggle through the storm, "making headway painfully", when Jesus is standing right outside my "boat" ready to take my hand.  Jesus doesn't promise to take us out of the storm.  In fact, he assures us we will face trials.  Taking up our cross and following him is not something to be taken lightly; but what we are promised is that we are not alone and we won't be overwhelmed in the storm.  


Remember, that once Jesus got into the boat with the disciples, the storm ceased and they arrived at their destination safely; in fact, in John's Gospel it says they arrived "immediately".  In Matthew's account the word immediately is used for Jesus' response to the disciples' fear.  In their fright at seeing him walking on the water, he spoke to calm their fears immediately.  It's so interesting how many times that one word is used in the gospels in connection with Jesus.  Our Lord is not slow to react and respond to our cries for help.  We're the slow ones!  It seems to make sense at the time to fight the storms of life for the metaphorical "9 hours" rather than to get out of the boat, walk to Jesus and his outstretched hand.  Then, we can see how he chooses to handle the storm - he may calm the storm or calm us in the storm.


Personally, and I say this with a little fear and trembling, I'm thankful for the trials in my life.  Without them, I wouldn't have learned about the great faithfulness of God, his unconditional love, his care and protection as well as his mysterious but perfect sovereignty and will.  I have learned and am learning the truth and reality of Romans 8:28 ("And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose"); and Romans 8:38 ("For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.")


I love it that when I cry out to Jesus he immediately responds to me with:  “Take heart; it is I. [I AM]. Do not be afraid.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment