Sunday, January 3, 2016

Get Up and Go


Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him. John would have prevented him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?” But Jesus answered him, “Let it be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he consented. And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; and behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.” Matthew 3:13-17 (ESV)

Jesus "went up from the water" after his baptism and "behold, the heavens were opened" and he saw the Holy Spirit. Is it important that there is action following the act of baptism and the appearance of the Spirit is tied in with the action? The Holy Spirit empowers us to do the ministry God has called us to and sends us out to do. One of my favorite prayers in the Book of Common Prayer ends with these words: "send us out into the world in peace and grant us strength and courage to love and serve you with gladness and singleness of heart". 

We are sent and our strength and courage are granted to us by our God through the power of the Holy Spirit. The strength and courage have a purpose - enabling us to serve our Lord with a glad heart. We're not serving as a burden or duty but rather in response to the gift of our salvation, the gift of our forgiveness and reconciliation, and in response to the love that was and is poured out on us from the cross and in our hearts. How can we respond any differently? 

God's strength and courage also enable us to serve with singleness of heart. Service in the Spirit's power is focused. We don't have to battle with conflicting emotions, questions and doubts about what we should be doing. In effect, we've been given our marching orders and we're following the steps of our Lord as he leads the way. When we find ourselves with divided hearts, it's time to step back, to do some self-examination. Have our priorities shifted? Has our focus moved from our Lord to our selves? Who's getting the glory for my efforts; is it all about me or am I seeking to glorify God? 

After a very busy work season, I was enjoying some down-time. Instead of getting ready to go to church, I wanted to stay in my comfy chair with my book. I sensed a "holy nudge" urging me to get up and worship the God that had given me the strength to get through all this. I needed that reminder that it was God's strength, not my own, that enabled me to go the extra miles and do what needed to be done. Church was sweet that morning, my heart was touched and renewed and I did worship the God who is my strength. But action on my part was required. I had to make the choice to get up from my comfy spot and get moving. God met me in that moment of action - my moment of decision - and I experienced his presence in a sweet and powerful way as I worshiped with my church family. 

We are faced with countless decisions every day: do we choose our own comfort and convenience or do we accept the way God is offering? Jesus - fully man and fully God - had a choice as well. He "went up from the water", was filled and equipped for the road that lay ahead. The heavens were opened to him, the Holy Spirit's power and presence were evident and the voice of the Father was heard speaking his pleasure over the Son. These were the visible and audible signs of the truth of what we, as followers of Jesus, have inherited. When we say "yes" to God we are given the grace to carry out the work he is giving us to do. We are empowered to love and serve our God and equipped to serve him with gladness and singleness of heart. 







No comments:

Post a Comment