Saturday, March 1, 2014

Following



I invite you to read Mark 10:32-52. It begins with Jesus leading his disciples and followers on the road to Jerusalem. He is walking purposefully and determinedly towards the last week of his life. Mark describes the emotions of those walking behind him in this way: And they were amazed, and those who followed were afraid. (Mark 10:32 ESV)

I can imagine the scene and in my imagination I can see myself in the crowd, looking at Jesus walking ahead. I can easily translate this image into the present and my own walk with the Lord. Sometimes I'm amazed and sometimes I'm afraid. Thinking of those following Jesus on that dusty road to Jerusalem, they must have had the same questions we all have at some point in our Christian journey. "Where is he taking us?" "What will happen when we get there?" "What if....?"

Along the way, two interesting events are recounted. First, James and John say to Jesus, “Teacher, we want you to do for us whatever we ask of you.” (Mark 10:35, ESV) Pause for a minute and remember their purpose on this journey and the feelings Mark describes. Isn't it interesting that James and John have shifted the focus to their own needs? Can you, like me, see yourself in this situation? How many times have I taken my eyes off Jesus' direction for my life and looked at my own narrow view and wanted the Lord to do whatever I ask of him. It's so hard to see the big picture when we feel that we're watching Jesus' back lead us to who-knows-where. Trusting in his ultimate purposes and plans is an act of faith and will. Standing firm on the promises of God when our eyes can't see is what faith looks like; which leads me to the second event in this passage - the encounter with the blind beggar, Bartimaeus.

What I love about this story is Bartimaeus' determination to get the attention of Jesus in spite of those around him. He keeps crying out and interestingly, Mark tells us that Jesus' response is to tell the people to "call him". The one who was calling out is answered with a call and the ones who were rebuking him and telling him to be silent are the ones who are now saying, “Take heart. Get up; he is calling you.” The blind man's response is immediate. And throwing off his cloak, he sprang up and came to Jesus. 

Can you see yourself in this story? How would you answer Jesus when he asks, "What do you want me to do for you?" The answer seems obvious but perhaps there's more to the question that we know. When we cry out to the Lord from our own need, is there more to our request than even we realize? Jesus said that the faith of Bartimaeus healed him. When we exercise our faith by persevering in our prayers, is that in itself a healing act? How are we transformed during the periods of crying out to the Lord no matter what other people say we should do? How is our sight recovered when we seek the presence of Jesus? The result of Bartimaeus' healing was that he followed Jesus. We end up where we started - following Jesus on that dusty road as he walks out his divine purposes. Isn't that the best place to be?























No comments:

Post a Comment