Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Expect the Unexpected

And after six days Jesus took with him Peter and James, and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became white as light. And behold, there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. And Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good that we are here. If you wish, I will make three tents here, one for you and one for Moses and one for Elijah.” He was still speaking when, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.” When the disciples heard this, they fell on their faces and were terrified. But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Rise, and have no fear.” And when they lifted up their eyes, they saw no one but Jesus only.  (Matthew 17:1-8 ESV)



Rise and have no fear.
Jesus spoke these words to Peter, James and John when they were so overcome and terrified by the awesome presence and voice of God at the time of Jesus' transfiguration.

Rise and have no fear.
The bright cloud that overshadowed them, the voice of God coming from that cloud, the experience of having seen Moses and Elijah!  They had every reason to find themselves on their faces in holy fear and trembling.

Rise and have no fear.
Jesus speaks.  Their teacher, friend, the one they have been walking with and listening to, that sweet and familiar voice calming their fears and bringing them back to earth from their incredible mountaintop experience.

Rise and have no fear.
These three men have had their eyes opened to the greater reality, to a deeper understanding of God's purpose in and through the life and mission of their Master.  Their scope of vision, their limited understanding had been abruptly altered; their minds must have been reeling!  Jesus' voice tells them that this is not a time to be fearful.  They must rise and be about the business at hand, fulfilling the divine mission.

Just like these three dear men, we occasionally need our understanding stretched, our eyes opened, our attention drawn toward heaven - toward God's purposes and plans for our lives.  We limit ourselves, we expect too little from God.   What does it take to shift our awareness, our expectations?  How can we become more willing to be surprised by God's holy purpose for our own lives?

Several times over the years of my Christian walk, I've prayed the words of Isaiah 6:  "Here I am!  Send me." I've prayed those words fearfully, sincerely and expectantly; they have not been prayed flippantly. Each time, I've had the sense of a holy encounter, a moment of choice - a choice to willingly and gladly submit to God's plans for my life, whatever they are and wherever he leads me.

Lately, I've been sensing a new direction emerging, a new path.  I have that feeling of a child on Christmas Eve holding a beautifully wrapped gift that is not yet ready to be opened.  I might shake it, look at it and wonder, but nothing gives away the surprise inside.  As an adult, I have worries  and what if's that go along with my curiosity: What changes will be required once I know what's inside my gift?  As I wonder what my future may hold, I hear the voice of Jesus saying, "Rise and have no fear."  I must keep on walking the path he has laid before me - on his path, following his leading and walking alongside the one who promises never to leave me or forsake me.

Following the examples of Peter, James and John, I trust Jesus to explain what I don't yet understand and to show me the way. I believe these men were learning to expect the unexpected! I can't wait to open my "gift" and see what's inside!


No comments:

Post a Comment