Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Overcome

In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.  John 16:33


In a recent conversation with someone very near and dear to me, the statement was made that sometimes it seems like the darkness is winning.  What does it look like to live through dark days in the truth of Jesus' words above?  The key word in that last sentence is through.  We get through it - we're not undone, not defeated when we hold on to Jesus.  No, correct that -- Jesus is holding on to us.  Even when we're not aware of it, he's there and he never lets us go.  No one or nothing can snatch us from his hand.  Too often - way too often - I act as if it's my job to grab hold of Jesus when he's already there holding me up, strengthening me and enabling me to carry on.


We may suffer "battle fatigue" as we go through dark, difficult times.  We may feel battered by the storms. But Jesus is so near to us, aware of our wounds from the battle, tending to us, ministering to us, and lifting our heavy burdens.  I'm reminded of the old hymn, "What a Friend We Have in Jesus".  You can find the lyrics here but remind yourself of some of the truths within this hymn:  
Oh, what peace we often forfeit, oh, what needless pain we bear, all because we do not carry everything to God in prayer.
Can we find a friend so faithful, who will all our sorrows share? Jesus knows our every weakness, take it to the Lord in prayer.

Are we weak and heavy-laden, cumbered with a load of care?  Precious Savior, still our refuge - take it to the Lord in prayer.
Blessed Savior, thou hast promised thou wilt all our burdens bear; may we ever, Lord be bringing all to thee in earnest prayer.

My friends, the reality of who Jesus is, how he loves us, what he does for us and how near and present he is to us is a reality that I pray you will come to see and know more and more.  Pray for the eyes of your heart to be opened.  Ask him to make his love real to you, to make his presence known to you.  Where you have doubts, ask Jesus.  I can tell you from my own experiences, it's a prayer he loves to answer.  He has overcome the world.  The darkness cannot, has not and will not overcome the Light of the world - our Lord Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment