Monday, November 21, 2011

Planting and Growing

Shower, O heavens, from above, and let the clouds rain down righteousness; let the earth open, that salvation and righteousness may bear fruit; let the earth cause them both to sprout; I the LORD have created it. (Isaiah 45:8)


As I read this passage, I was struck by how many times the Lord's work is described in terms of planting, growing, watering, seeding, sprouting, etc.  Not growing up on a farm and being unable to grow anything well in my yard (except maybe weeds), these metaphors probably don't speak as clearly to me as they might to someone who loves to get their hands dirty planting in their garden.  (SO not me!)  I guess It just means I have to ponder the verses a little longer than my gardening friends.  So, I wrote this verse down in my notebook and read through it several times, read another translation and waited.  What is God trying to tell me with this?  I can't seem to leave it alone.


Another verse in Isaiah has particular meaning to me - Isaiah 61:3:  "that they may be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he may be glorified."  There's a long story that goes with my receiving that verse, but suffice it to say its meaning and impact has grown and blossomed (yes, I'm using farm-speak).  As I sat with the Isaiah 45 verse, "my" oak tree passage came to mind.  That tree is a planting of the Lord, not a planting of man.  Over the years, that's the part that has emerged and spoken to me.  We are God's creation, "planted" by him and therefore, cared for and nurtured by God so our "roots" grow strong, our "branches and leaves" are healthy and we grow into maturity.  


As Christians, we sometimes experience times of spiritual dryness - that feeling of being disconnected, going through the motions, sometimes feeling like our prayers are bouncing off the ceiling and not getting through.  Just as plants cannot grow in dry, crusty soil and need water to thrive, we, too, need the refreshing Living Water to cleanse, nurture and refresh our spirits.  In Ephesians 3, Paul prays that we may be "rooted and grounded in love".  God is love.  As we are rooted and grounded in Him - abiding in him - we are nurtured with the spiritual food we need to thrive and grow.  


Imagine yourself, without Jesus, as a plant trying to grow out of dry, rocky, dusty soil.  It's a pitiful picture.  Now read the verse above.  God is raining down righteousness on your thirsty soul.  The soil around your roots is opening up to allow the rain to soak in and even changing its consistency as the rain revitalizes and transforms the dust into rich, life-giving soil.  Your sickly, pitiful plant has been saved!  You will not die of thirst and starvation.  Your roots are stretching out to receive the nourishing rainwater and you are getting stronger and stronger.  You get strong enough to grow into a mature plant, to begin bearing fruit.  You are becoming a beautiful creation - an "oak of righteousness".  You are a  source of shelter and comfort for those who come near.  You are able to stand firm against storms and wind because your roots are deep and strong.  And the Lord created it.  YOU are a planting of the Lord, that he may be glorified.

No comments:

Post a Comment